95 million cars were sold globally in 2019. Of these, 4.7 million were sold in USA alone.
About 2% of these cars in the US are electric vehicles (EV). Sales of EVs are likely to ramp up in the near future as the global voice of climate change and global warming becomes louder and more organized.
Also prices of EVs have become lower with greater production volume. In fact, new research from Bloomberg NEF says they could be cheaper than combustion-engine cars by 2022.
Considering that there is worldwide consensus that EVs may replace the conventional cars by 2025, then someone who is the CEO of the biggest EV maker should easily be the most important personality in the automobile industry.
So who else but Elon Musk himself? Although he is a global celebrity, you may be surprised with some interesting facts on Elon Musk.
Interesting Facts on Elon Musk
Below, you’ll find some of the more intriguing facts on Elon Musk.
1. Musk is the 23rd richest man in the world (Forbes, 2019). His net worth is estimated at USD 43 Billion.
2. Unlike other Uber-rich internet personalities, Musk gained 2 university degrees becoming an technology entrepreneur. His first degree is in economics and the other in Physics, both from the University of Pennsylvania.
3. He is the longest tenured serving CEO of any automotive manufacturing company globally. He became Tesla CEO in 2008. For some years, Tesla is the most valuable automobile company in the world.
4. He sold off his interest in Paypal for USD1.5B to eBay in 2002.
5. As of 2014, Musk’s salary at Tesla was USD1 per year. However he is rewarded with generous stock options and performance bonus. These are super rewarding for him especially when Tesla became wildly successful.
6. Musk is a big combatant of Global Warming. Tesla owns SolarCity which is the second biggest solar power systems company in the USA.
7. Musk founded an infrastructure and tunnel services company when he was inspired after being frustrated when he was caught in a traffic jam. He called it the Boring Company.
8. Musk is big on Artificial Intelligence. He advocates the responsible use of AI, of which he feels has enormous potential.
9. He wants to reduce the risk of human extinction by building a colony on Mars. He founded SpaceX, a space transport services company in 2002.
10. Musk was born in South Africa. He lived in Canada before going to the USA as a teenager. He is a citizen of all three countries.
11. Musk is thrice-married. Twice to the same woman. He is currently single but partnered. He has 6 children.