Tesla’s Cybertruck was unveiled not too long ago and gained worldwide attention for its design and presentation.
Readers are generally split in reaction to Cybertruck’s unveiling, some calling it really ugly and others liking it.
During the presentation, the Cybertruck’s windows were not supposed to shatter when the metal balls were thrown.
That slip up also caused quite a buzz in the online community.
Regardless, here are some interesting facts on Tesla’s Cybertruck.
20 Interesting Facts About The Cybertruck
1. The Cybertruck was conceived as an environmentally friendly alternative to the current ICE truck. In the USA, over 6,000 trucks are sold every day. This is a sizeable market for the new truck.
2. Elon Musk first conceived of the idea of the Cybertruck in 2012.
3. The Cybertruck will be sold from $39,000 to $49,000. Fully autonomous driving capability will come in with an additional $7,000. The truck is planned for production in 2021.
4. Tesla was given a trademark “cybrtrk” by the USPTO in 2016.
5. Musk said that the inspiration for the looks of the truck came from the movie Blade Runner. Although the looks was also credited to the Lotus Elise 1976 which was used in a James Bond movie.
6. The Cybertruck has received 250,000 pre-orders (when Musk tweeted “250K”) in November 2019.
7. The Cybertruck will seat six persons over 2 rows. The middle rear seat is foldable to allow for a longer payload in the bed.
8. This vehicle will be offered either as rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive. It will be executed using 1 to 3 electric motors configuration selection.
9. The truck will have power output sockets of 120V and 240V for portable electric tools and a compressed air outlet for pneumatic tools.
10. Its range will be from 250 to 500 miles depending on the configuration ordered.
11. The acceleration times of the Cybertruck will range from 6.5 to 2.9 seconds depending on the truck’s electric motor specifications.
12. The truck will have a bed like most other conventional trucks. When the rolling shutter tonneau cover is applied, the volume of the enclosed space is over 100 cubic feet. Tesla calls this enclosed lockable space The Vault.
13. Two voltages, 110 V and 240 V outlets and a compressed air outlet are available in a bottom floor space behind the rear wheels.
14. Climate control could be applied to the ‘vault‘ to provide comfort when used on camping expeditions.
15. The external appearance has a distinctive multi-faceted design as it utilizes stainless steel in its construction.
16. Tesla’s Cybertruck also uses a unibody design for its frame and chassis which has to cater for the bolt-on batteries.
Before and after unveiling the truck
17. The truck was unveiled in November 2019. The reaction from the audience to the appearance was mixed. However, Cybertruck was named “Concept Car of the year 2019” by Automobile Magazine.
18. During the unveiling, a demonstration to show the durability of the windows failed. The steel ball thrown created 2 spider webs fracture on the side windows. However, the sledgehammer blows to the body were well received. Shares prices of Tesla dropped after the unveiling.
19. In spite of Musk’s own doubts about its acceptability, 250,000 pre-orders to date appeared to show that the truck was well received. Each pre-order has to be made with a refundable fee of $100. Confirmation needs to be done later.
20. YouTube videos showed that some of these who pre-ordered were at first skeptical about Truck, but changed their minds after test driving a Tesla electric car. Others loved and are confident of the inventor himself who had pretty much delivered on all his promises. A few are attracted to the autonomous driving capability and wanted to have the flexibility of its use. Some are thrilled with the software updates that Tesla gives for their vehicles from time to time. Another group are simply excited to see how the Cybertruck will come along.
In a nutshell
Only time will tell if Tesla’s Cybertruck will be a massive success or a flop.
In the meantime, we hope you’ve enjoyed this list of interesting facts on the Cybertruck.